Make hay while the sun shines.
Take action while the opportunity exists. Don’t delay.
- The product is very popular this year. Let’s make hay while the sun shines and try to sell as many as we can.
Failing to plan is planning to fail.
Planning is a very important part of success. If you don’t plan well, you might not succeed.
- I can’t believe that you don’t have a business plan yet. Failing to plan is planning to fail.
The harder you work the luckier you get.
People think a successful person is lucky, but that person worked very hard to achieve their success.
- You are so lucky that you have been promoted to upper management.
- You know what they say, “The harder you work, the luckier you get.”
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
If something is working, don’t change it.
- Some people suggested that we change our marketing strategy, but in my opinion, “It ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”
Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
If you have a strong desire to do something, you will find a way to do it. You will figure it out.
- I don’t know how we will afford to live in this expensive neighborhood.
- Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
If something is necessary and needed, people will invent it.
- How did you find a way to fix the broken toilet?
- You know what they say, “Necessity is the mother of invention.”
If you snooze you lose.
lose vs loose
If you don’t do something quickly, if you don’t pay attention, you might miss a good opportunity.
- If you’d like to buy this house, you’d better make an offer now. In this hot real estate market, if you snooze you lose.
Don’t bite off more than you can chew.
Don’t try to do too much. Don’t agree to do something you can’t do.
- He’s exhausted from working two jobs. It’s clear that he’s biting off more than he can chew.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
If you don’t take any risks, you will never achieve anything.
- I’m very nervous about asking my boss for a raise.
- Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
Stay positive but be prepared if something bad happens.
- I’ve saved money in case I lose my job due to the economic recession. I’m hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.
Don’t cross a bridge until you come to it.
We’ll cross that bridge when we get there.
Don’t worry about possible future problems.
- What will you do if you don’t get accepted to the university?
- I don’t know. I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.
Hard work never killed anyone.
Don’t be lazy.
- Would you help me in the garden?
- I’m too tired.
- Come on. Let’s go! Hard work never killed anyone.
- Joke: Hard work never killed anyone, but why take the chance?
Hard work without talent is a shame, but talent without hard work is a tragedy.
Helping others with the talents you are given and work hard. That’s where our happiness lies in.