- Finding Fossil Man
- Spare that spider
- Matherhorn man
- The sporting spirit
- Beauty and Beast
- Pride and Prejudice
- Prince and Pauper
- World Wide Watch
- I am in favor of the ingenious, interesting and informative advertisements which give me a lot of enjoyment and inspiration.
- Our hopes, our hearts, our hands are with those on every continent who are building democracy and freedom.
- fin, fur and feather
- A bald slipped out of the house.
- He has been messing around with several skirts of his class.
- The crown should not yield to the cross.
- Our grief has turned to anger, and anger to resolution.
- For glances beget ogles, ogles sighs, sighs wishes, wishes words, and words a letter.
- If you dream it, you can do it; if you do it, you can love it; if you love it, you can enjoy it; if you enjoy it, you can make it.
Without art, society could still survive, but not thrive.
- They had a single aim, a solitary goal – the top!
- I’m sick and tired of your silliness.
- He is never one to pick and choose.
- She is always complaining of her aches and pains.
Men always want to be a woman’s first love; women have a more subtle instinct: what they like is to be man’s last romance.
- There is only one difference between an old man and a young one: the young man has a glorious future before him and the old one has a splendid future behind him: and maybe that is where the rub is.
- When poverty comes in at the door, love leaps out at the window.
- A mother takes twenty years to make a man of her boy, and another woman takes twenty minutes to make a fool of him.
Be – 喻体直陈式
- … their harp was their passport.
- College is a comma of a sentence of life.
- She was an angel of a wife.
Verbs – 喻体全隐式
The hostess opened her heart and her door to the homeless boy.
a life of ease had made them soft: a comfortable life had made them defenseless.
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested. — Sir Francis Bacon
As the time and cost of making chips drop to a few days and a few hundred dollars, engineers may soon be free to let their imaginations soar without being penalized by expensive failures.
verbs converted from nouns — 喻体半隐式
- From every window heads were craning for a view of it.
- He doesn’t have an idea of his own, he just parrots what other people say.
- A heavy silence blanketed the room
- They stormed the speaker with questions.